Our Curriculum Intent
WHITLEY MEMORIAL C of E AIDED PRIMARY SCHOOL
‘Let your light shine’ – Matthew 5:16
Our Curriculum Intent
At Whitley Memorial Church of England Primary School, we are committed to provide a fully inclusive, fun and creative education of the highest quality for all our children, no matter what their starting points may be when they join the 'Whitley Family.'
The design, content, implementation and evaluation of our curriculum plays a key role in how we make our school vision come to life and enable all in our school to experience life in all its fullness.
Our 'school curriculum' is the child's whole experience at Whitley Memorial Church of England Primary School and ensures that every child is given the opportunity to 'Let Your Light Shine' and to be the best they can be to achieve their God given potential by developing the 'whole child'.
We value the uniqueness of every child. Through our bespoke curriculum, we ensure that every child is inspired to be the best they can be, to install our Christian core values that will support them through their life's journey and to inspire them to make a positive contribution to the community. Our Christian core values are central to everything we do: Thankfulness, Trust, Perseverance, Justice, Service, Truthfulness, Generosity, Compassion, Courage, Forgiveness, Friendship and Respect.
We passionately believe in working collaboratively with parents, learners, members of the community, our church (St Cuthbert's), educational partners and other professionals to ensure all children receive the very best start to their learning journey.
As a Church of England school, we ensure that RE and Worship is central to the life of the school, to encourage the spiritual development of all children and adults.
Our curriculum has been carefully created to provide the correct balance between the progressive skills and knowledge as well as developing and applying skills, leading to better understanding and progression for the pupils and to develop a love of learning. It is intended that our clear progression of objectives will be followed with flexibility and imagination by the teachers using their professional judgements thoughtfully. Assessment of pupils’ prior knowledge, is carefully assessed and considered, as well as pupils’ curiosity and passion for gaining new knowledge and skills.
Our school will:
As a Church of England school we believe everyone can 'Let Your Light Shine' through:
- Providing an education of the highest quality within the context of Christian practice and belief
- Continually reviewing and refining our practice
- Providing encouragement and opportunities for everyone to discover and use the gifts and talents they’ve been given by God, in a safe environment
- Ensuring that Christian and British values are at the core of everything we do
- Being a fully inclusive school where all children feel safe and welcome and are encouraged to be kind, thoughtful, tolerant and respectful to all within school, the church and the wider community
- Having a positive approach to behaviour based on Christian principles and using the 'Thrive' approach.
- Valuing parents as the first teachers of children and to welcome parents as partners in our school community
- Providing opportunities to worship together and with our local community